Living in Rolla
- Missouri weather has four seasons. Summer weather is usually warm and can sometimes reach temperatures up to 40 degrees Celsius. During spring and fall temperatures are generally mild, with only a light jacket or sweater being necessary. Winters can get very cold, so be sure to bring warm clothes for the winter including a heavy coat, as we do experience snow and ice in the winter.
- On-campus housing is not available for students in the Applied Language Institute (ALI). You are strongly encouraged to make housing plans before your arrival. Several real estate companies offer rental properties, so you may wish to begin your search online and communicate with one or more of the real estate companies. Below are links to some of the companies in town who have rental properties:
- Missouri S&T Student Affairs maintains current listings of available student housing and people looking for roommates. You can also check out rental listings in classified ads on RollaNet. In addition, the following (closed group) Facebook page assists students with finding roommates.
- A variety of on-campus housing options is available at Missouri S&T. Please note that S&T requires first and second year undergraduate students to live in university-approved housing, and you will be required to select a university meal plan. Top choices for first-year students are usually Residential Commons and Thomas Jefferson Hall, both located close to classroom buildings and cafeterias. Please see Missouri S&T Residency Requirements for more information. After you complete the PRO Day registration, you will receive information about how to apply for your housing and select your meal plan. The Residential Life team does its best to match you with an appropriate roommate. Also, please note that campus housing units do not include bedding and towels.In addition, a variety of meal plans are available. Meal plans include a specific number of meals per week, a declining dollar balance, or a combination.
- As a graduate student, on-campus housing is not available. You are strongly encouraged to make housing plans before your arrival. Several real estate companies offer rental properties, so you may wish to begin your search online and communicate with one or more of the real estate companies. There are links above for some of the companies in town who have rental properties.
- A number of taxi services are available in Rolla, and remember that all taxi cabs are metered, so the cost depends on the distance you travel. Ask them about the rate before hiring the cab.information.If you plan to purchase a car, please see the Obtaining a Driver's License info and make sure to research the cost of maintaining a vehicle and the cost of car insurance.
- International students can obtain a Missouri driver’s license by collecting the documents listed under each student category below, taking the driver’s exam (written and driving), and after successfully passing the tests, bringing the paperwork to the Rolla License Office to obtain your license.
- First, please collect the following documents and see step-by-step instructions to find out where to obtain the necessary documentation and how to proceed:
- Step1: Obtain necessary paperwork from campus offices
- Step 2: Obtain social security card or ineligibility letter from Social Security Office
- Step 3: Study for driver's exam
- Step 4: Take exams
- Step 5: Submit paperwork and obtain license
- Representatives from local banks will be present at the International Student Orientation to help you set up a bank account in Rolla. Otherwise, you may visit one of the banks listed to open an account.
- Please see the Shopping in Rolla list of all major grocery and department stores.
- The following are some quick, helpful links for your reference: